In a world where you can shop anywhere, we encourage you to shop local.
Why shopping local matters…
While the price, selection, and convenience of one-stop shopping sites are tempting, we encourage you to keep your dollars in our local community! When you keep your money where you live, you are supporting an economy of friends and neighbours, and building a community that thrives.
Small-scale, locally owned businesses create communities that are more prosperous, connected, and generally better off across a wide range of metrics. When we buy from independent, locally owned businesses a significantly greater portion of our money is then cycled back through our local economy — to facilitate purchases from other businesses, pay salaries, contribute to local charities, and support local innovation and community activities – ultimately strengthening the whole community.
SHOP LOCAL, EAT LOCAL and SPEND LOCAL
Please visit the business links to find out the complete details.
Brown & MacFarlane Glass Co. Inc.: 21 Bridge St.
Real Wool Shop: 142 Franktown Rd.
Chasin’ Turkeys: 51 Bridge St.
Graham’s Shoes:139 Bridge St.
Heritage Optical: 130 Lansdowne Ave. Suite 6
IDA Drugmart: 47 Lansdowne Ave.
Solace Hair Design: 6 Lake Ave.
Surrounding Memories: 77 Bridge St.
The Dress Shop: 141 Bridge St.
The Floral Boutique: 77 Bridge St.
The Granary Bulk and Natural Foods: 107 Bridge St.
The New Oak Tree: 470 Townline Rd.
The Pickledish: 24 Lake Ave. West.
The Queens Crafters and Antique Market: 142 Bridge St.
Please visit the business links to find out the complete details.Downtown Dining and Shopping Map
More Ways to Support Local:
- Outfit a home office/workspace – add some plants, flowers, prints and stationery to give it a personal touch
- Share your GREAT experiences of using local suppliers or retailers, tag them in a FB post
- Do some spring cleaning -stock up on cleaning supplies
- Get Crafty – take on an art project and buy your supplies from a local retailer
- Write your story – redesign your business card or rack card and get it printed locally
- Plan your garden – get ready now for planting, add some soil and mulch to your favourite beds and pick up some must-have flowers and shrubs
- Take care of yourself – get a massage or schedule a treatment for later
- Get organized – clear out the old and plan to donate or gift
- Redecorate – pick a room and make it your home oasis with some scented candles, special artwork, or a new piece of furniture
- Get some takeout – and pick it up yourself or dine in
- Update your wardrobe – check out our great local retailers
- Pamper yourself or someone else
- Participate in a class – learn a new skill, take a fitness class or take an online learning course
- Commit to Future work – hire a local contractor or tradesperson to take on some jobs you’ve been putting off
- Don’t stress – check out a local health store for supplements and foods that will lower your stress levels
- Donate to a local not for profit – if you can, donate your time, food, $$ or goods to a local, not for profit
- Book for tomorrow – make an appointment with a hairdresser and/or esthetician
- Buy now, use later – get yourself or someone you love a gift card
- Outsource – hire someone to do those jobs you don’t enjoy
- Refer someone – tell your friends about a great local service you can’t live without
- Unpause your membership – get ready to go back and support
- Eat, drink and be merry – many local restaurants and breweries
- Plan a game night – rent a game, or book an at-home escape room locally
- Book a staycation – make some local plans
- Send flowers or chocolate
- Learn something new – borrow a book or movie from the local library
- Get more takeout or dine in
- Get some new shoes